General Description (Purpose / role):
Coordinate with Works Manager and assist with the Mill & CNC to plan and supervise the best use of both labour and materials through the joinery shop, spray shop, veneer shop and QC check / wrapping area. Allocate work maximising on the skills and competence of individual employees. Support and supervise work of joiners.
Managing the priority of work (& re-prioritising) to achieve vehicle loading at planned times. Minimise waste whilst ensuring quality standards are achieved. Controlling materials and records to ensure compliance with CoC and ISO requirements.
Ensuring that all staff and visitors in the joinery shop are safe to work and egress routes are clear.
- Safety of staff and visitors within the area under your supervision.
- Supervise work to maximise on the skills and competence of the workforce and meet agreed completion requirements.
- Request any materials not yet purchased, typically these are, paints, veneers, boards, cutters &Sundry items etc.
- Ensure all staff working within your area of responsibility, either permanently or temporaryknow what is expected of them.
- Maintain the quality control of materials and products within your area of responsibility.
- Ensure materials and processed products coming into the department meet quality requirements prior to commencement of further works.
- Coordinate works requirements through the staff working in your area of responsibility and ensure they are kept informed of production programme deadlines, targets and changes etc.
- Manage all staff in line with company requirements taking action to motivate and train individuals and maintain discipline (any further actions you believe are required bring to your line managers attention).
- Champion environmental issues within your area of responsibility and supervise / lead allagreed improvement plans.
- Ensure that the NCR system is being used and issues are documented in the relevant projectfolder.
- Receive and scrutinise all works instruction where practicable and ensure they are adequateand complete before commencing work.
- Resolve or assist to resolve production issues raised on the buildability of designs, raisingthese either with the designer or works manager where necessary.
- Report on a daily basis on progress of jobs and raise early alert of risk of not meeting deadlines.
- Ensure FSC / PEFC chain of custody requirements are met in full within your area ofresponsibility.
- Communicate with estimating, design, purchasing and site where necessary for the smooth running of the project / job.
- Assistance given to ensure vehicles are loaded safely and on time with delivery notes (packing slips) which accurately reflect the deliveries and can be used to count off and sign for goods onsite.
- All equipment to be checked and recorded on a weekly basis.
- General housekeeping of all areas, walkways, benches etc.
- Ensure that all records and systems are operated in line with IMS and COC requirements.
- Ensure all material or product that is substandard is quarantined and cannot be mistakenly used.
- Cover works manager’s role when he is absent, including taking all works phone calls from suppliers and site management staff.
- Coordinate overtime requirements with works manager.
- Minimise waste & maximise productivity.
- Work within HBJ Quality Acceptance criteria.
- Ensure that planned actions take into account minimising HBJ Environmental impact.Minimise risk of an environmental incident, reduce waste and or damage or loss of materials through sound planning and clear instruction.
- Ensure the quality of the completed work package is of a suitable standard before the next phase commences.
- Ensure all works are undertaken and completed in the most efficient manner applicable.
- Undertake any necessary extra hours as required by Howard Bros to complete the required work(s).
Required experience / skills
- Joinery Experience / Qualification essential.
- Ability to prioritise own work and work of others.
- Attention to detail essential.
- Good communication skills with other staff essential.
- Able to resolve issues and communicate over the phone.
- Flexible working hours (to ensure full coverage of joinery shop with works manager) to work Saturday mornings as required (usually alternative Saturday mornings).
Holiday entitlement: 21 days per annum
Commencement date: As soon as possible
Please contact Mark Bewick – Works Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV and a covering letter.